"La Striscia", which means ‘an area of fertile land,’ is a beautiful 14-hectare estate in the heart of Tuscany. The property is a green oasis just 800 meters from the historic centre of Arezzo, a city of art famous for its Etruscan origins, the Giostra del Saracino, the poet Francesco Petrarca, the great painter architect Giorgio Vasari, and the frescoes of the great Piero Della Francesca.
The sixteenth-century estate became the property and residence of the noble Occhini family in the early 1900s. It was Count Pier Ludovico Occhini, mayor of Arezzo in 1909 and 1930 and Senator of the Kingdom in 1939, who expanded and transformed the villa with its gardens so much so that even today it remains under the protection of the Fine Arts. Subsequently, the property passed to the three grandchildren: Simone, Alvise and Ilaria Occhini, a famous theatre and television actress, an icon of beauty in the 60s and 70s.
It was Ilaria with her brother Simone who in 2000 re-planted the vines giving life to a pure Sangiovese that bears the name of the "Occhini" family — a label that immediately managed to enter an international niche market. Afterwards, the production was expanded with the creation of a Chianti DOCG, the Bernardino, respecting the local wine tradition.
The daughter of Ilaria Occhini, Alexandra La Capria, later dedicated herself to the restructuring of the old farm in 2003, transforming it into 7 suites destined for hospitality, while the manor house was managed by a private structure. Today Alexandra, a professional interior designer, and her architect husband Mete Nisari, manage the winery and the wine resort, including the Alexandra Loft.